Sunday, May 6, 2012

Debate, debate & stuff

Well on Friday Nikita & I hosted a debate girls team preparation which she is on now. Yesterday all day we were at a debate competition. This was Nikita's first time competing. It was very interesting yesterday to see how it works. Our Girls team on 2 of the 5 they competed in. This is the first year for our Elementary School to do this. We were combined by name with the Junior High to do this. I am not sure if this was the Junior Highs first year doing this or not.
It was exciting to see all the kids talk their points on the different topics. I found that certain judges seem to show favoritism and others didn't. I was however very disappointed to see one judge that used to debate a few years ago that is in high school currently seem to be on a power trip as well as in a mood to berate both teams which I thought was uncalled for. Of course me being a Mama Bear when this happened Nikita I wanted to bitch slap her (the judge)!!! I could see how she really hurt all the kids by what she said. I am not a judge so I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it didn't seem right to me. Nikita was really shook up by this. Nikita started feeling worthless on the ride home and yes she did cry. I did my best to help her understand that she did her best and that is all that counts. I know it upset the other girls I am not sure what they went through but I can only imagine.
Nikita says she is still interested in doing debates. I will tell you that if she had said I don't want to do it anymore, I hope I could find the right words to encourage her to continue.
Today is all about recuperating from  yesterday for me. Larry is off to take a nap, he had a busy day yesterday he worked then rushed to go keep score for Nikita's softball teams playoffs, which she wasn't at. When he arrived he didn't have to keep score someone else was. Well even though Batitude Nikita's team name didn't win in the playoffs we were the first place team this season in 12 and under.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your posts! I hope you're able to get ahold of that judge and tell her how you feel about her berading children like that!

    Best,
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete