Sunday, July 29, 2012

Old fashion


Are you old fashion? Well I guess I am, and that is ok with me. I am the type of person/Mom/woman that believes we teach our kids biological or not to respect our elders. We do not have to agree with them but show respect. This is an example of this: If your name is Joyce Johnson you should be called either Miss Johnson if you are not married, Mrs. Johnson if you are or if you prefer Ms. Johnson. I believe this is done until the person is at least 17-18 yrs. old unless the adult states otherwise. I was brought up this way.
What I stated earlier is that you don’t have to agree with your elders but being disrespectful of this is wrong. If you have an opinion I believe you can talk about it, but you are not allowed to force it on the person. I respect and this is what I am trying to instill in my daughter that we don’t have to agree on everything but we do not need to make the other person agree with us, they are entitled to their opinion.
I also believe that you should teach to your children not to judge people by color, religion or mental/physical disabilities. I think you should get to know people as people and not a label.
I am doing all of this while raising my daughter Nikita, I would hope she would do the same when & if she has children.
I try to set realistic boundaries for Nikita. Here is an example where I made a mistake I am not perfect and anyone who is my hat is off to you: Nikita went to a drop off party and when I got there I wasn’t sure if she should stay or not. I should always go with my gut! Well the parents of the Birthday girl who just turned 12 dropped her off with her 18 yr. old brother to John’s Incredible Pizza for a party. Well when I got there I find this out and I talk to the 18 yr. old and another parent I know they seem to think it was ok so I let Nikita stay even though there was no parental supervision of 12 yr. olds going to be there. Plus Nikita has a phone she can call me if there is a problem. Well Larry & I go on our merry way to South Orange County to shop, come home and then I go to pick Nikita up both me & the other parents that I know agree that 3pm is a good time to pick them up that is 4 hours of time at John’s Incredible Pizza. Well when I get there the other parents who I saw in the parking lot did not go to the meet place, not sure where they went. Well I gave Nikita till about 3:05 and texted her she did not respond so at 3:10 I called her. She then came out & had serious attitude to me for interrupting her fun. Serious attitude isn’t acceptable to me, like talking down to me and raising her voice at me. Well on the ride home I found out what happened and she tried to blame me for lack of fun she had. First I take responsibility for leaving her there which after talking to Nikita I shouldn’t have done. I guess the party wasn’t organized with a set time to start and stop and that people (12 yr. old girls) were arriving at different times. I am not sure exactly when they went in but it is my understanding that the 18 yr. old brother took off and left the girls in the mall while he shopped then came back they ate and had just started playing games in there arcade area when I arrived. Well I told Nikita that it was time to leave and we did, she got mad at me on the drive home about the party and that she was the first to leave. I got pissed to say the least I will tell you that I did curse and told her she had better change her attitude or she would lose her phone and anything else if she kept up the way she was behaving. I told her she was lucky I left her there that I will not make that mistake again. I will always go with my gut it is usually not wrong.
Here is another example of me being old fashion; I was out to lunch with a friend & her two daughters and Nikita too. The girls sat at their own table and so did me and my friend. While we were there we saw a couple of Mom’s leave there girls in high chairs to go get their food. First of all I would never do this and never will. This is how I did this when Nikita was that little, Me and the other Mom would take turns watching the kids while the other got food, not leave the two girls in high chairs unattended. I see this all the time and wonder WTF. Nikita was always moving and squirming I would be afraid if that she would get out and take off or fall out. In case you were wondering we were at Souplantaion having lunch.
I know I am getting a little soap box or preachy but this is how I feel. I just don’t understand people the way that they do things today! I know that there is probably more I should talk about on the subject but I stated this at 1:30 am and now it is 2:30 am and I think I will stop for now. I will update if I feel necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment